Position Sr. Director, Oncology
Company ROME Therapeutics
Location Cambridge, MA
Reports to CSO
Who We Are
ROME Therapeutics is developing novel therapies for cancer and autoimmune diseases by harnessing the power of the repeatome – vast stretches of uncharted genetic material that have long been dismissed as “junk DNA.” With several drug targets identified and multiple discovery programs underway, ROME is moving rapidly to leverage this new frontier in biology. To lead this exploration, ROME has assembled a team of world-class leaders across fields including oncology, immunology, virology and machine learning. ROME was launched in April 2020 and was incubated at GV, in collaboration with ARCH Venture Partners and Partners Innovation Fund. ROME is based in Cambridge, Mass. For more information, please visit www.rometx.com.
ROME therapeutics is seeking a Head of Oncology who will work closely with the Chief Scientific Officer and the management team to provide scientific leadership to help advance our mission. This person will be a seasoned executive with an outstanding record of accomplishments in Oncology and/or Immuno-Oncology that will lead a team of scientists and will progress breakthrough therapeutic agents from discovery to the clinic. The successful candidate will have a strong entrepreneurial spirit along with highly developed leadership and team-building skills A thorough understanding of the requirements and processes needed for drug development from target identification to IND-enabling studies is essential.
What You’ll Do
- Provide scientific vision and strategic input in developing R&D approaches for ROME Oncology initiatives.
- Provide subject matter expertise for incorporating the latest scientific discoveries, methodologies, and technologies in the Oncology field that can impact internal projects.
- Efficiently integrate internal and external CRO resources to advance drug discovery programs.
- Deliver high quality lead candidates for clinical development.
- Participate in the creation of a robust intellectual property portfolio.
- Provide critical input in developing translational approaches to bring new agents through the clinic, including the formulation and execution of repeatome-based precision medicine strategies.
- Actively engage with ROME’s scientific advisors and collaborators.
- Build and maintain exceptional working relationships with key opinion leaders and principal investigators.
- Contribute to the preparation of documents, as needed, to support regulatory filings.
- Establish a culture that promotes creativity, open communication, collaboration, collegiality, and a sense of urgency while maintaining the highest standards of scientific rigor.
- Recruit, motivate, retain, and develop a world class, highly innovative Oncology research organization.
What You’ll Bring
- Ph.D. and/or M.D. in cancer biology or related fields.
- At least 10 years of relevant industry experience in the Oncology field.
- A consistent track record of scientific excellence as reflected by high impact, peer reviewed publications and patents.
- A thorough understanding of scientific, commercial, regulatory, ethical and legal aspects of Drug Discovery.
- Exceptional leadership skills.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- The ability to thrive in a Biotech environment that requires flexibility to quickly adapt to breaking data and changing circumstances.
- The patience to learn from your team and peers before turning to yourself for all the answers.
- We value the strength of team development, communication and leadership that inspires motivation to drive quality research with urgency that will better patients’ lives.
- Be an active participant and ensure high quality scientific rigor
- A cutting-edge approach to drug discovery
- Effective Communication skills
- Pro-active and resourceful problem solver
- Comfortable with the ambiguity of early-stage Life Science companies
- Ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Strong cross functional collaboration skills with a focus on trust, credibility, and mutual respect
- Asking questions, being open to new ideas and embracing ambiguity will help make you successful in this role.
- Ability and willingness to be candid and genuine
- Proven track record of demonstrating functional expertise and following through on commitments.
- Comfortable working in an initially virtual environment thru Spring of 2022
Who You’ll Work With
All Roman citizens exemplify our core values. Romans are encouraged to BE BOLD, DELIVER EXCELLENCE and to CARE DEEPLY in our pursuit of discovering and delivering medicines to patients in need. Relentless curiosity means that we continually strive to improve, learn, and grow by asking questions, seeking knowledge, and stretching beyond our comfort zone. We rely on each other to know our stuff, follow through and to ‘GSD – get stuff done’. We are inspired to operate with respect and kindness, valuing differences and authenticity.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
ROME offers competitive compensation and benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter and a copy of your CV to email@example.com
ROME Therapeutics is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status.