Position Director, Intellectual Property (IP) Counsel
Company ROME Therapeutics
Location Cambridge, MA
Reports to SVP, Strategy & Operations
ROME Therapeutics is developing novel therapies for cancer and autoimmune diseases by harnessing the power of the repeatome – vast stretches of uncharted genetic material that have long been dismissed as “junk DNA.” With several drug targets identified and multiple discovery programs underway, ROME is moving rapidly to leverage this new frontier in biology. To lead this exploration, ROME has assembled a team of world-class leaders across fields including oncology, immunology, virology and machine learning. ROME was launched in April 2020 and was incubated at GV, in collaboration with ARCH Venture Partners and Partners Innovation Fund. ROME is based in Cambridge, Mass. For more information, please visit www.rometx.com.
ROME Therapeutics is seeking an experienced intellectual property attorney to lead the company IP efforts. This role can significantly impact the company’s scientific breakthroughs through leading our patent strategy and execution. The ideal candidate will have specific expertise in biotech patents and a deep understanding of fundamental patent law. They must have the ability to analyze and assess developing scientific progress. The individual must have the ability to multi-task and work independently with attention to detail in an exciting, fast-paced early start-up environment.
- Partners with internal stakeholders, including scientists, clinicians, and program teams, to identify and evaluate new inventions and oversee drafting, filing and prosecution of patent applications
- Devise and implement IP strategies across the organization in collaboration with leadership team and external IP counsel
- Supervises and directs outside patent counsel in patent preparation and prosecution
- Manage patent portfolio (and other types of IP such as trademarks) and monitors competitive intellectual property
- Reviews intellectual property aspects of technical manuscripts, posters, and other materials intended for publication
- Conducts basic prior art searches and performs IP due diligence analysis
- Collaborates with business development team to support the company’s business and licensing activities
- Collaborates with leadership team to summarize and communicate IP strategy/status with Board and external stakeholders (investors, partners, etc.)
- Assists with developing company-wide IP policies and procedures
EDUCATION / QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS
- J.D. with advanced scientific degree (MS or PhD in chemistry) required
- Admitted to practice before US Patent and Trademark Office and a state bar
- At least 8 years of IP law firm or in-house biopharma experience
- Understanding of the interrelationship between the legal, scientific, and business aspects of intellectual property and the use of IP to further the company’s business goals
- Strong interpersonal, collaboration, organizational and communication skills
- Resourceful problem solver with ability to work pro-actively
- Comfortable navigating complexity and ambiguity in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Must be a team player and able to earn the trust, credibility, and respect of colleagues across multiple functions
- Strong work ethic and high level of energy, focus, and passion
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
ROME offers competitive compensation and benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter and a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
ROME Therapeutics is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status.