Position Director, Computational Chemistry
Company ROME Therapeutics
Location Cambridge, MA
Reports to Interim reporting to the SVP, Chemistry
Who We Are
ROME Therapeutics is developing novel therapies for cancer and autoimmune diseases by harnessing the power of the repeatome – vast stretches of uncharted genetic material that have long been dismissed as “junk DNA.” With several drug targets identified and multiple discovery programs underway, ROME is moving rapidly to leverage this new frontier in biology. To lead this exploration, ROME has assembled a team of world-class leaders across fields including oncology, immunology, virology and machine learning. ROME was launched in April 2020 and was incubated at GV, in collaboration with ARCH Venture Partners and Partners Innovation Fund. ROME is based in Cambridge, Mass. For more information, please visit www.rometx.com.
ROME Therapeutics is seeking an experienced Director of Computational Chemistry who will work closely with the Senior Vice President of Chemistry and the Senior Director of Structural Biology and the ROME scientific team to advance our mission. This person will have an outstanding record of accomplishments collaborating with medicinal chemists to deliver novel compounds into the clinic. The successful candidate will be a creative yet practical computational chemist with experience making key contributions to drug discovery programs. An entrepreneurial spirit along with leadership and team-building skills is required.
What You’ll Do
- Contribute to multi-disciplinary teams to apply a wide range of drug design and computational chemistry techniques to the task of hit finding, hit and lead optimization, including optimization of potency and ADME properties
- Working closely with medicinal chemists use state of the art computational techniques, such as protein modeling, ligand-based design, free-energy perturbation, physics-based methods, and molecular docking to design molecules with improved profiles and play a key role in compound design
- Use multi-parameter optimization to help inform the medicinal chemistry strategy; Apply and develop AI/ML models to support and complement project team drug-design activities.
- Contribute to building the computational chemistry and cheminformatics infrastructure by implementing and deploying computational tools and workflows
- Work with biologists and medicinal chemists to aid in the assessment of new drug targets to assess druggability and to determine the most promising approaches for identifying small molecule hits.
What You’ll Bring
- D. in computational chemistry with 8+ years of experience working in small-molecule drug discovery teams in pharma or biotech settings
- Demonstrated ability to leverage computational chemistry tools to influence medicinal chemistry strategies and to solve project team problems.
- Experience using virtual screening to identify lead molecules; experience using output of fragment screens to design lead molecules is a plus.
- Experience with standard computational chemistry software like the Schrodinger suite of computational tools, MOE, and Pipeline Pilot; and interest in applying data science and ML tools to drug discovery.
- Experience in the modeling and design of protein therapeutics is a plus
- The qualified candidate will be creative, detail-oriented and a problem solver with a passion for drug discovery and a track record of applying computational chemistry and cheminformatics methods to solve problems at all stages of the drug discovery and development process.
- Strong interpersonal, teamwork, communication, and organizational skills, and ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, innovative environment.
- Effective Communication skills
- Pro-active and resourceful problem solver
- Comfortable with the ambiguity of early-stage Life Science companies
- Ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Strong cross functional collaboration skills with a focus on trust, credibility, and mutual respect
- Asking questions, being open to new ideas and embracing ambiguity will help make you successful in this role.
- Ability and willingness to be candid and genuine
- Proven track record of demonstrating functional expertise and following through on commitments.
- Comfortable working in an initially virtual environment thru Spring of 2022
- Vaccination against COVID-19 is strongly encouraged and proof of vaccination should be provided to ROME
Who You’ll Work With
All Roman citizens exemplify our core values. Romans are encouraged to BE BOLD, DELIVER EXCELLENCE and to CARE DEEPLY in our pursuit of discovering and delivering medicines to patients in need. Relentless curiosity means that we continually strive to improve, learn, and grow by asking questions, seeking knowledge, and stretching beyond our comfort zone. We rely on each other to know our stuff, follow through and to ‘GSD – get stuff done’. We are inspired to operate with respect and kindness, valuing differences and authenticity.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
ROME offers competitive compensation and benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter and a copy of your CV to email@example.com
ROME Therapeutics is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status.