Position Associate Director/Director, Biology
Company ROME Therapeutics
Location Cambridge, MA
Reports to VP, Oncology
Who We Are
ROME Therapeutics is developing novel therapies for cancer and autoimmune diseases by harnessing the power of the repeatome – vast stretches of uncharted genetic material that have long been dismissed as the “dark genome.” With several drug targets identified and multiple discovery programs underway, ROME is moving rapidly to leverage this new frontier in biology. To lead this exploration, ROME has assembled a team of world-class leaders across fields including oncology, immunology, virology, chemistry and machine learning. ROME is based in Cambridge, Mass. For more information, please visit www.rometx.com.
What You’ll Do
- Build, direct, manage, develop, and empower a team of internal and external scientists and research associates in target biology and cell pharmacology focused on the identification and characterization of novel compounds directed towards the repeatome.
- Create, interact, and manage a network of CROs, academic advisors and KOLs.
- Outline, prioritize, communicate, and manage biology research goals across our portfolio including our existing and exploratory programs.
- Collaborate on design and implementation of efficient compound testing scheme and supervise development of critical biological assays for target engagement, MOA, biomarkers, and indication selection.
- Establish and maintain internal/external resourcing, budgets, work plans and timelines.
- Lead/co-lead drug discovery programs from hit to lead to candidate selection and represent project team to internal leadership.
- Design and execute appropriate late-stage preclinical and IND-enabling studies, support transition of research programs into pre-clinical development and beyond.
- Proactively identify issues and problems within the project and lead the team to cross-functional solutions to drive project decisions.
- Make rapid decisions and recommendations to project team(s) and senior leadership based on data.
- Collaborate and communicate effectively across the organization.
- Participate in evaluation and selection of new targets.
What You’ll Bring
Experience and Qualifications
BS/MS/PhD degree in Cell or Molecular Biology, Genetics, Biochemistry, or related discipline and 10+ years of post-degree experience, with 3+ years of people management experience.
- Proven track record of demonstrating functional expertise and fostering a positive work environment
- Ideally, you have demonstrated success in leading oncology drug development programs from inception through IND in an industry setting.
- Ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously.
- Strong cross-functional collaboration skills with a focus on trust, credibility, and mutual respect
- Ability to determine gaps/key studies needed, follow through to ensure studies executed correctly and on time, and able to critically evaluate data to drive decisions.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable with early-stage biotech environment (VC funding, fast pace, exciting science)
- Asks questions, open to new ideas and embracing novel science
- Willingness to working in a hybrid (in-person/remote) work environment as needed
- Vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory, subject to medical and religious accommodations, and proof of vaccination must be provided to ROME
Who You’ll Work With
All Roman citizens exemplify our core values. Romans are encouraged to BE BOLD, DELIVER EXCELLENCE and to CARE DEEPLY in our pursuit of discovering and delivering medicines to patients in need. Relentless curiosity means that we continually strive to improve, learn, and grow by asking questions, seeking knowledge, and stretching beyond our comfort zone. We rely on each other to know our stuff, follow through and to ‘GSD – get stuff done’. We are inspired to operate with respect and kindness, valuing differences and authenticity.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
ROME offers competitive compensation and benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter and a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
ROME Therapeutics is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status.