Company ROME Therapeutics
Location Cambridge, MA
Reports to Director, Biology
Who We Are
ROME Therapeutics is developing novel therapies for cancer and autoimmune diseases by harnessing the power of the repeatome – vast stretches of uncharted genetic material that have long been dismissed as “junk DNA.” With several drug targets identified and multiple discovery programs underway, ROME is moving rapidly to leverage this new frontier in biology. To lead this exploration, ROME has assembled a team of world-class leaders across fields including oncology, immunology, virology and machine learning. ROME was launched in April 2020 and was incubated at GV, in collaboration with ARCH Venture Partners and Partners Innovation Fund. ROME is based in Cambridge, Mass. For more information, please visit www.rometx.com.
Rome Therapeutics is seeking a creative and collaborative Scientist to lead the study design and execution of rodent PK/PD/efficacy and tox models to support preclinical programs, with a general oncology and immune-oncology focus. The Scientist will spearhead the strategic choice of in vivo models to accelerate and inform candidate selection. The Scientist is expected to work on projects with minimal direct supervision and will be expected to apply good judgment to procedures and choose appropriate approaches to answer outstanding questions. The Scientist will work on cross-functional research project teams to interpret in vitro and in vivo results, and apply them to key decision making. The Scientist will have the opportunity to collaborate with peers to perform downstream ex-vivo sample analysis in the lab and build a small team of direct reports as needed. This role will not require hands on animal work, though there is the option of performing infrequent studies at a local in vivo facility.
What You’ll Do
- Identify and develop relationships with CROs where in vivo studies will be conducted.
- Identify and propose mouse models most appropriate for the program target/disease area.
- Matrix well with in vitro biology and analytical teams to generate rodent PK data, integrating cell-based data to inform on in vivo study design.
- Design, execute and manage in vivo oncology studies (tolerability, efficacy, PK/PD) to develop an understanding for required pharmacology to support drug candidate selection.
- Work effectively with other disciplines to build a preclinical data package for candidate development, contributing authorship to clinical trial related documents and scientific manuscripts.
- Organize and manage the operational aspects of study execution, including requests for test article generation, test article QC testing, shipments to CRO sites, formulation testing, new model establishment.
- Work with CROs to ensure study reports are accurate and appropriate.
- Critically evaluate and interpret data and present to cross functional team members and management in a clear and timely manner.
- Maintain awareness of relevant literature to aid in identifying predictive and target engagement biomarkers, emerging indications, and mechanisms of drug resistance
What You’ll Bring
- Masters or PhD in Biology, Pharmacology, Biomedical Sciences, or related field with 3-5 years of relevant experience preferably in oncology/immune oncology. 1+ years of relevant experience in industry R&D is required.
- Experience with murine in vivo PK/PD/efficacy experimentation and strategic design, required.
- Experience managing in vivo studies through CROs is preferred.
- Proven ability to design research projects independently.
- Excellent project management, time management, and multi-tasking skills.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills applied to investigations.
- Ability to work closely in cross-functional teams to support multiple pre-clinical stage programs.
- Ability to clearly and efficiently document, communicate and present complex data sets.
- Experience with immunoassays (such as WB, IHC, IF, flow cytometry), qPCR, and genome editing/KD approaches (CRISPR or si/shRNA).
- Excellent computer skills with knowledge of spreadsheet, word processing and statistical analysis software.
- Effective communication skills.
- Pro-active and resourceful problem solver.
- Flexibility necessary for success in a dynamic early-stage Biotech company.
- Ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously.
- Strong cross-functional collaboration skills with a focus on trust, credibility, and respect.
- Willingness to ask questions, be open to new ideas, and embrace ambiguity.
- Ability and willingness to be candid and genuine.
- Proven track record of demonstrating functional expertise and following through on commitments.
- Comfortable working in a hybrid environment as needed.
- Vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory, subject to medical and religious accommodations, and proof of vaccination must be provided to ROME
Who You’ll Work With
All Roman citizens exemplify our core values. Romans are encouraged to BE BOLD, DELIVER EXCELLENCE and to CARE DEEPLY in our pursuit of discovering and delivering medicines to patients in need. Relentless curiosity means that we continually strive to improve, learn, and grow by asking questions, seeking knowledge, and stretching beyond our comfort zone. We rely on each other to know our stuff, follow through and to ‘GSD – get stuff done’. We are inspired to operate with respect and kindness, valuing differences and authenticity.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
ROME offers competitive compensation and benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter and a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
ROME Therapeutics is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status.