Position Scientist, Target Biology
Company ROME Therapeutics
Location Cambridge, MA
Reports to Senior Director, Early Discovery Biology
Who We Are
ROME Therapeutics is developing novel therapies for cancer and autoimmune diseases by harnessing the power of the repeatome – vast stretches of uncharted genetic material that have long been dismissed as “junk DNA.” With several drug targets identified and multiple discovery programs underway, ROME is moving rapidly to leverage this new frontier in biology. To lead this exploration, ROME has assembled a team of world-class leaders across fields including oncology, immunology, virology and machine learning. ROME was launched in April 2020 and was incubated at GV, in collaboration with ARCH Venture Partners and Partners Innovation Fund. ROME is based in Cambridge, Mass. For more information, please visit www.rometx.com.
ROME Therapeutics is seeking an innovative and collaborative scientist to join the growing Early Discovery Biology team. The ideal candidate will have the drive to explore novel biology and apply scientific creativity to address cellular and molecular mechanistic hypotheses as they relate to target validation and pathway modulation. Your responsibilities will be primarily lab-based, to design, direct, and conduct key experiments that will ultimately contribute to data packages supporting repeatome target discovery and validation. You will have the opportunity to contribute to the strategic direction of the portfolio by leveraging new understanding of human disease biology. This role requires the ability to work independently within the team to define and evaluate target dependency hypotheses, while working in a fast-paced environment within the larger cross-functional drug discovery team.
What You’ll Do
- Design and optimize experiments using cell and molecular biology techniques to evaluate mechanistic and phenotypic outcomes in cellular assays
- Develop and support disease-relevant cell culture models across a variety of therapeutic areas
- Employ ROME proprietary cell models and molecular biology techniques to interrogate repeatome regulation
- Critically evaluate and interpret data, and present to cross functional team members and management in a clear and timely manner
- Proactively review literature to apply the newest scientific findings and technologies to the company’s early discovery efforts
- Contribute intellectually to evaluation and prioritization of new target ideas
- Provide valuable cell biology support and collaborate with ROME’s ongoing drug discovery projects and teams
What You’ll Bring
- Masters or PhD in Biology, Biomedical Sciences, or related field with at least 5 years of relevant experience
- Proven experience of developing assays to assess phenotypic endpoints and/or pathway modulation, and ability to apply to relevant disease models appropriate for the target and biology.
- Hands-on experience with cell-based assays (immunoassays such as WB and IF, flow cytometry, reporter assays, qPCR), genome editing approaches (CRISPR or si/shRNA), and pharmacological modulation of targets
- Familiarity with nucleic acid profiling techniques such as RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, Nanostring, and Nanopore technology
- Effective Communication skills
- Pro-active and resourceful problem solver
- Comfortable with the ambiguity of early-stage Life Science companies
- Ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Strong cross functional collaboration skills with a focus on trust, credibility, and mutual respect
- Asking questions, being open to new ideas and embracing ambiguity will help make you successful in this role.
- Ability and willingness to be candid and genuine
- Proven track record of demonstrating functional expertise and following through on commitments.
- Comfortable working in a Hybrid work environment as needed.
- Vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory, subject to medical and religious accommodations, and proof of vaccination must be provided to ROME
- CRO management, in vivo model experience, and/or scientific background with repeatome biology a plus
Who You’ll Work With
All Roman citizens exemplify our core values. Romans are encouraged to BE BOLD, DELIVER EXCELLENCE and to CARE DEEPLY in our pursuit of discovering and delivering medicines to patients in need. Relentless curiosity means that we continually strive to improve, learn, and grow by asking questions, seeking knowledge, and stretching beyond our comfort zone. We rely on each other to know our stuff, follow through and to ‘GSD – get stuff done’. We are inspired to operate with respect and kindness, valuing differences and authenticity.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
ROME offers competitive compensation and benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter and a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
ROME Therapeutics is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status.