Position Scientist/Senior Scientist, In Vitro Pharmacology
Company ROME Therapeutics
Location Cambridge, MA
Reports to VP, Oncology
Who We Are
ROME Therapeutics is developing novel therapies for cancer and autoimmune diseases by harnessing the power of the repeatome – vast stretches of uncharted genetic material that have long been dismissed as the “dark genome.” With several drug targets identified and multiple discovery programs underway, ROME is moving rapidly to leverage this new frontier in biology. To lead this exploration, ROME has assembled a team of world-class leaders across fields including oncology, immunology, virology, chemistry and machine learning. ROME is based in Cambridge, Mass. For more information, please visit www.rometx.com.
Rome Therapeutics is seeking an enthusiastic and experienced in vitro pharmacologist to develop and execute robust disease-relevant cellular assays to support lead discovery and optimization, onsite and through CROs. You will implement a broad range of techniques to understand pharmacology of agents directed against therapeutic targets in the repeatome. You will have experience in optimizing and validating assays for low and moderate-throughput screening using protein-protein interaction, gene/protein expression, and high content assay readouts. You will work closely with cross-functional teams to drive structure activity relationships and be a major contributor to the advancement and characterization of drug candidates for oncology and beyond.
What You’ll Do
- Develop the cell pharmacology strategy and evolve/pivot as necessary to support program advancement
- Independently design, develop, and validate a broad array of cell-based assays, onsite and/or through CROs depending on complexity and need, to support drug discovery and development projects
- Serve as point person and lead for CROs to provide direction for successful assay implementation/utilization and data generation to support ROME programs
- Work closely with the chemistry team to understand structure activity relationship to enable lead identification, optimization, and characterization
- Work in partnership with colleagues in the biology group to ensure that assays and experiments are designed optimally, biologically relevant, aligned with goals, and implemented effectively
- As the in vitro pharmacology representative, communicate strategies, plans, results, timelines, and challenges to core teams, project teams and leadership
- Maintain an awareness of current developments in the literature around your targets and relevant technologies to enhance functional capability and productivity
What You’ll Bring
Experience and Qualifications
- D. with 2+ years, MS with 5+ years or BS with 7+ years of biotech/pharmaceutical industry experience
- Experience with biological assays/in vitro pharmacology, familiarity with the industry standards for assay development and proficiency in developing and implementing potency, selectivity, and mechanistic assays to drive drug discovery and optimization
- Hands-on experience in the development and optimization of a wide range of cellular assays such as indicator gene/protein (luciferase, HiBit), HTRF, AlphaLISA, ELISA, MSD, In Cell Western, qPCR, viability
- Operate a broad array of liquid-handling and plate-based pharmacology equipment to ensure efficient workflows for newly developed assays. Experience with automation is not required but welcome!
- Demonstrated experience managing CRO relationships and working closely with CROs to develop cellular assays
- Experience in diverse molecular and cell biology techniques, including siRNA, CRISPR, and immunoassays is a plus
- Proficiency in utilizing software such as Live Design, Spotfire and GraphPad for data analysis and figure generation
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to balance multiple objectives at the same time
- Ability to collaborate in a multidisciplinary and dynamic environment
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable with early-stage biotech environment (VC funding, fast pace, exciting science)
- Asks questions, open to new ideas and embracing novel science
- Willingness to working in a hybrid (in-person/remote) work environment as needed
- Vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory, subject to medical and religious accommodations, and proof of vaccination must be provided to ROME
Who You’ll Work With
All Roman citizens exemplify our core values. Romans are encouraged to BE BOLD, DELIVER EXCELLENCE and to CARE DEEPLY in our pursuit of discovering and delivering medicines to patients in need. Relentless curiosity means that we continually strive to improve, learn, and grow by asking questions, seeking knowledge, and stretching beyond our comfort zone. We rely on each other to know our stuff, follow through and to ‘GSD – get stuff done’. We are inspired to operate with respect and kindness, valuing differences and authenticity.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
ROME offers competitive compensation and benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter and a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
ROME Therapeutics is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status.