Position Data Scientist (Computational Biologist)
Company ROME Therapeutics
Location Cambridge, MA; or, Remote
Reports to Head of Data Science
Who We Are
ROME Therapeutics is developing novel therapies for cancer and autoimmune diseases by harnessing the power of the repeatome – vast stretches of uncharted genetic material that have long been dismissed as “junk DNA.” With several drug targets identified and multiple discovery programs underway, ROME is moving rapidly to leverage this new frontier in biology. To lead this exploration, ROME has assembled a team of world-class leaders across fields including oncology, immunology, virology and machine learning. ROME was launched in April 2020 and was incubated at GV, in collaboration with ARCH Venture Partners and Partners Innovation Fund. ROME is based in Cambridge, Mass. For more information, please visit www.rometx.com.
ROME Therapeutics is seeking an experienced Data Scientist (Computational Biologist) with a strong background in computational biology and genomics to develop novel genomics and applied machine learning algorithms, put them into a production software system, apply them to large-scale and custom datasets, and associate these outputs with phenotypic and other clinical data. The successful candidate will likely be a generalist Data Scientist with skills in computational molecular biology, statistics and machine learning, data visualization, software engineering and deployment of data processing pipelines, and excellent communication skills.
What You’ll Do
- Define and implement analytical solutions to solve complex genomics and clinical problems, relying on statistics, machine learning, and other computational tools
- Implement computational biology and bioinformatic pipelines that process and analyze genomics, transcriptomics, and proteomics datasets
- Build and evaluate novel predictive models of disease
- Establish new methods for analyses of structured and unstructured datasets to drive decision-making for repeatome-based therapeutic programs
- Resourcefully mine publicly available data to gain insights
- Work with bench scientists to apply approaches that improve experimental design and interpretation of results
- Build workflows and dashboards that capture and visualize Data Science output
- As part of Rome’s cross-functional team, collaborate effectively by communicating analytic results to internal and external scientists, as well as business executives
- Contribute to Rome’s culture of scientific rigor and innovative excellence
What You’ll Bring
Experience and Qualifications
- Advanced degree (PhD-level, or equivalent experience) in Computer Science or related quantitative discipline, with strong training and experience in Computational Biology, Statistics, Machine Learning, Data Science, or Data Engineering
- 2+ year(s) experience in industry – required
- Expertise in analysis of large-scale genomics datasets (DNA sequencing, RNA sequencing, proteomics) and appropriate statistical methods – strongly preferred
- Familiarity with oncology and/or autoimmune diseases is a plus
- Demonstrated track record, including scientific publications, of analyzing large biological datasets
- Very strong programming skills (Python preferred)
- Experience in engineering data processing pipelines – strongly preferred
- Effective communication skills (oral and written)
- Pro-active and resourceful problem solver
- Flexibility necessary for success in a dynamic early-stage Biotech company
- Ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Strong cross-functional collaboration skills with a focus on trust, credibility, and respect
- Willingness to ask questions, be open to new ideas, and embrace ambiguity
- Ability and willingness to be candid and genuine
- Comfortable working in a hybrid environment as needed.
- Vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory, subject to medical and religious accommodations, and proof of vaccination must be provided to ROME
Who You’ll Work With
All Roman citizens exemplify our core values. Romans are encouraged to BE BOLD, DELIVER EXCELLENCE and to CARE DEEPLY in our pursuit of discovering and delivering medicines to patients in need. Relentless curiosity means that we continually strive to improve, learn, and grow by asking questions, seeking knowledge, and stretching beyond our comfort zone. We rely on each other to know our stuff, follow through and to ‘GSD – get stuff done’. We are inspired to operate with respect and kindness, valuing differences and authenticity.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
ROME offers competitive compensation and benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter and a copy of your CV to email@example.com
ROME Therapeutics is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status.