Position Senior Director, Medicinal Chemistry
Company ROME Therapeutics
Location Cambridge, MA
Reports to SVP, Chemistry
Who We Are
ROME Therapeutics is developing novel therapies for cancer and autoimmune diseases by harnessing the power of the repeatome – vast stretches of uncharted genetic material that have long been dismissed as the “dark genome.” With several drug targets identified and multiple discovery programs underway, ROME is moving rapidly to leverage this new frontier in biology. To lead this exploration, ROME has assembled a team of world-class leaders across fields including oncology, immunology, virology, chemistry and machine learning. ROME is based in Cambridge, Mass. For more information, please visit www.rometx.com.
ROME therapeutics is seeking a Sr. Director of Medicinal Chemistry who will work closely with the Senior Vice President of Chemistry and the ROME scientific team to advance our mission. This person will have an outstanding record of accomplishments in Drug Discovery and will lead efforts to deliver novel compounds into the clinic. The successful candidate will be a creative yet practical drug-hunter with experience advancing drug discovery programs. An entrepreneurial spirit along with leadership and team-building skills is required.
What You’ll Do
- Lead multi-disciplinary drug discovery and development teams to IND Stage
- Think strategically about how to accomplish project objectives engaging team members to devise innovative solutions.
- Work collaboratively within multi-disciplinary project teams to support drug discovery activities.
- Lead, develop, and implement medicinal chemistry strategies to discover novel therapeutics providing subject matter expertise in the field of medicinal chemistry and related disciplines (e.g., drug metabolism, biology, computational chemistry, process chemistry).
- Prioritize chemistry activities and manage external chemistry resources to achieve project goals
- Design high-quality small molecules considering SBDD, physicochemical properties and pharmacological readouts
- Build, maintain and grow productive relationships with internal and external colleagues in chemistry, structural biology, ADME, biology and pharmacology
- Establish the intellectual property strategy working with internal and external patent counsel and lead the preparation of patent documents, peer reviewed scientific publications and regulatory documents, as appropriate
What You Bring
- Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry or Medicinal Chemistry with 10+ years of experience working in a pharmaceutical and/or biotechnology setting as a medicinal chemist
- Demonstrated leadership in drug discovery solving a variety of medicinal chemistry problems as evidenced by a strong record of scientific accomplishment and success delivering pre-clinical and clinical candidates
- Experience in hit identification through clinical development; including experience managing CMC activities including solid form selection.
- Proven ability to manage timelines and resources to drive projects toward key decision criteria
- Strong synthetic chemist and experience using structure-based drug design to design clinical candidates
- A clear and effective communication style to present project strategy and progress to stakeholders, including communicating project results and medicinal chemistry approach to both internal colleagues and external collaborators.
- Strong interpersonal, teamwork, communication, and organizational skills, and ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, innovative environment.
- We value the strength of team development, communication and leadership that inspires motivation to drive quality research with urgency that will better patients’ lives.
- Be an active participant and ensure high quality scientific rigor
- A cutting-edge approach to drug discovery
- Effective Communication skills
- Pro-active and resourceful problem solver
- Comfortable with the ambiguity of early-stage Life Science companies
- Ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Strong cross functional collaboration skills with a focus on trust, credibility, and mutual respect
- Asking questions, being open to new ideas and embracing ambiguity will help make you successful in this role.
- Ability and willingness to be candid and genuine
- Proven track record of demonstrating functional expertise and following through on commitments.
- Comfortable working in a hybrid environment as needed.
- Vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory, subject to medical and religious accommodations, and proof of vaccination must be provided to ROME
Who You’ll Work With
All Roman citizens exemplify our core values. Romans are encouraged to BE BOLD, DELIVER EXCELLENCE and to CARE DEEPLY in our pursuit of discovering and delivering medicines to patients in need. Relentless curiosity means that we continually strive to improve, learn, and grow by asking questions, seeking knowledge, and stretching beyond our comfort zone. We rely on each other to know our stuff, follow through and to ‘GSD – get stuff done’. We are inspired to operate with respect and kindness, valuing differences and authenticity.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
ROME offers competitive compensation and benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter and a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
ROME Therapeutics is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status.